Sunday, November 9, 2014

Toddler Fine Motor Skill: Cutting Grass

My tiny tot had 2 weeks off from his preschool so we were out on vacation, which was spent wandering on the beach, dipping in the pool, sun bathing, chasing cats, swinging on the swings, riding the tricycle, taking pictures, running around all day till his skin got tanned and whole body was covered with so much sand mud and dirt that he had to be scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed clean every night!

The first few days were pure bliss, since my ebullient boy was outdoors after a really long time. But after a week he started coming to me every now and then, asking the dreaded "what do we do now mummy?" So I made a run to the local stationary store and got him the basics: colored glue, crayons, Watercolors and brushes. But forgot child safe scissors.

He is still hesitant with the scissors, except for cutting playdoh caterpillars into bits. So I need to encourage him from time to time to cut at least a little! But here since I didn't have child safe scissors, I handed him a big adult one to cut grass (not leaves from plants, cuz if I open THAT door...!)


He sternly looked at me saying "mummy this is dangerous!"


*facepalm*


Although he was taking my earlier warnings seriously, I said "Yes it's dangerous! So use it only in front of me, and I'll make sure you don't cut yourself"

So he cut a few pieces of grass to stick on paper. And painted many leaves and branches too, somewhere in between his busy schedule of running around, swinging on swings, chasing cats...



P.S. The easiest way to make him cut is to hand over a chocolate in wrapper! He is more than willing to use the scissors to cut it open!


Until later! Stay in touch!



 Sign Up  |  Twitter  |  Pinterest | Facebook 

2 comments: